Home Inductees Educational Programs Museum & Archives Get Involved Links About Us Store

Photo History Tour

Archives & Research Exhibit Photo Gallery Photo History Tour

Photo History Tour

Port Arthur Arena Auto Racing The Allan Cup Memorial Cup The Stanley Cup 1936 Olympic Games 1940 Olympic Games Early Curling History Curling Rock 1930s Baseball Women and Baseball Golf in Thunder Bay Football Rowing Skiing Soccer

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

Golf in Thunder Bay

Golf in Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay's introduction to organized golf took place in the early 1900s with the formation of the Thunder Bay Country Club in 1910. By the 1920s the annual "entrance fee" was set at $100, and visiting players were charged $1 in green fees. In 1923 members of the Thunder Bay Country Club decided to branch off. This moved resulted in the formation of the Fort William Country Club in 1926. Municipal Golf Course was built in 1924 in the King George's Park area. Strathcona Links opened to the public in 1925, with nine holes costing local golfers 25 cents. Chapples was opened in 1949 and named after Clem Chapples, who was instrumental in its formation through the donation of land.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16